Vehicle Maintenance FAQs
At our service department, we want to give you all the tools you need to keep your vehicle working better for longer, from the Honda Accord to the Honda Civic. That’s why we’ve also provided this useful guide to some of the most frequently asked questions about vehicle maintenance.
Q: How often should I change my oil?
A: The interval for an oil change is different depending on the vehicle make, model, and year, but usually you’ll find an interval or 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, or 10,000 miles. You can make sure how often to change the oil by looking at your vehicle owner’s manual.
Q: When should I replace my tires?
A: The easiest way to tell if it’s time to change your tires is by using the penny test. Put a penny upside down in the tread groove, and if you can see all of Lincoln’s head then it’s time to replace your tires.
Q: What do the different warning lights mean?
A: It’s important to understand the different warning indicators on your dash. Some of the most common include:
- An oil can: This means it’s time to change the oil.
- Engine outline: This means you need to get your engine checked out.
- A picture of the battery with a + and – sign: This means your battery might be depleted and it could be time to replace your battery.
Q: How do you jumpstart a car?
A: If your vehicle won’t start, it’s likely because the battery is drained. Jumpstarting your car is fairly easy if you have jumper cables, though. Here’s what you do:
- Put both cars in park and shut off the ignition of both.
- Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your vehicle’s battery
- Attach the other red clip to the other car’s positive terminal.
- Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal of the other car’s negative terminal.
- Attach the other black clip to a piece of unpainted metal on your car that isn’t near the battery.
- Turn the ignition to start the other car and let it run for a couple minutes or so.
- Try to start your vehicle.
- If your vehicle doesn’t start, wait a few minutes and try again.
Q: How will I know when to replace my brake pads/rotors?
A: If your vehicle’s brake warning light appears, then it’s likely time to get your brake pads or rotors replaced. If you hear a loud screeching sound when you brake, if your braking distance is getting longer, and if the brake pedal feels soft, those are other signs it’s time to bring your vehicle in.
Count on Silko Honda for All Your Auto Repairs and Maintenance
Whether you need an oil change, a tire rotation, wheel alignments, or a major repair, the factory-trained and certified technicians at Silko Honda’s service department are here to help you out. Simply schedule your service online and then stop by our dealership at 1580 New State Highway in Raynham, MA. If you have questions, contact our staff at (508) 880-5500.