If you enjoy a good DIY project in Brockton or Taunton, or you just want to save some money on service, cleaning your car yourself is a simple way to start! Want to know how to clean leather car seats? What about cloth? Follow our step-by-step guide to cleaning your car seats, whether it be leather or fabric, and contact us at Silko Honda if you have any questions!
How to Clean Leather Seats
Cleaning leather car seats isn’t difficult, but you’ll need to have the right materials and follow the correct steps. See what you need to get started cleaning your leather seats below.
Things you’ll need:
- Microfiber towels
- Interior brush (NOT a stiff carpet brush, something with soft bristles)
- Leather cleaner, saddle soap, mild leather soap, or 1 part white vinegar/2 parts linseed oil solution
- Check our owner’s manual for possible products NOT to use when cleaning your leather car seats and for any instructions specific to your model.
- Remove all particles by carefully vacuuming your leather seats, making sure to not scratch the leather in the process. Use the smaller attachments or an air compressor to get into the cracks.
- Spray your leather cleaner on the microfiber towel to clean your leather seats and remove surface dirt and oils.
- Spray cleaner onto the seats (unless you have perforated leather seats, then spray onto the brush to apply to the seats), and scrub the surface gently with the brush.
- The last step in how to clean your leather seats is to wipe the seats with a clean, and then use a microfiber towel to dry them.
How to Clean Fabric Car Seats
When it comes to cloth seats, you’ll need different materials and to follow some different steps.
Things you’ll need:
- Cleaning solution spray designed for fabric (NOT an all-purpose cleaner)
- Microfiber towels
- Interior brush (NOT a stiff carpet brush, something with soft or medium-stiff bristles)
- Enough time for the seats to dry before driving the car anywhere
- Remove all particles of dust, dirt, and hair with a thorough vacuuming. Use the smaller attachments on your vacuum to get into the cracks and seams of each seat.
- You may need to also wipe down the seat with a lint roller or special pet hair removal tool if you have a lot of pet hair in your vehicle.
- Open the windows and doors for ventilation and lightly spray the cleaning solution onto an area you want to clean. Avoid saturating the fabric to prevent mildew issues.
- Massage the cleaning solution into the fabric using the interior brush.
- When suds start to appear, wipe them out of the fabric with the microfiber towel. If the fabric dries before you do this, the dirt will be pulled back into the fibers.
- Continue this process until the area is clean, then move on to the next section until you are satisfied with the condition of your seats.
- An additional pass with a vacuum can accelerate the drying process. Let the seats finish drying before using the car.
Alternatives to Fabric Cleaner
- Laundry Detergent: Mix hot water with detergent and apply the solution with a sponge or spray bottle. Use cold water on a microfiber cloth to scrub and wipe the dirt away.
- Vinegar: A few drops of dish soap, one cup of vinegar, and a gallon of hot water can be mixed together and applied onto the seats and then scrubbed with a brush. Use clean water and a microfiber towel to remove the dirt and suds.
- Baking Soda: One cup of warm water and ¼ cup of baking soda and mixed together can be used with a toothbrush to scrub out tough stains. After scrubbing, let sit for 30 minutes, then use a clean cloth or towel to blot away the stain.
- Club Soda: Use a spray bottle to apply a light layer of club soda to the fabric, and a soft-bristle brush to scrub out the stains. Make sure to wipe away dirt as it comes to the surface.
Keep Your Vehicle in Top Shape at Silko Honda
If you don’t have time to clean your interior yourself, or to leave it to the experts who know how to clean your leather seats, schedule service at Silko Honda near Fall River and we are happy to do it for you! Get more car care tips from our knowledgeable staff, like how to unlock your steering wheel and more!
More from Silko Honda
The 2022 Honda Pilot is a spacious, powerful, and innovative SUV that can help you handle any Brockton adventure. This family-friendly SUV sports an innovative interior, tons of cargo space, and an attractive design that will turn heads on the Taunton streets. What’s more, the new Honda Pilot offers plenty of power from under the…
A reliable and fuel-efficient sedan like the 2022 Honda Civic might be just what you need to enhance your daily Brockton commutes and weekend getaways. On top of the Honda Civic design that gives you and your family ample interior space, the Honda Civic interior is stocked with a host of features that bring relaxation…
Brockton customers and auto experts everywhere are excited about the arrival of the all-new 2022 Honda Civic. So what can you expect from the latest version of the incredible Honda lineup? Take a look at the 2022 Honda Civic features and how Honda has redesigned the 2022 Honda Civic with Silko Honda today. The Honda Civic…